Monday, June 11, 2012

More Eye Candy

Today's been a grab bag including graphical tweaks, a new graph type generator, and a lot of rework that's helping me try new things in areas of level gen that had previously been inflexible.  That's a constant battle, but I'm starting to work my way into some new avenues.

The results are sure pretty:





I think once I can get these kind of results a bit more reliably at this size, I ought to be satisfied for a while -- this is definitely enough room structure to play with for now.  Later I'll crack the divide-and-conquer nut and really go hog wild with some big levels that aren't all stretched to annoyance.

There's any number of small tricks that can perhaps be applied at this point, too.  For example, long hallways that twist around only to dead-end at a single room are fairly common; it wouldn't be hard to move those dead-end rooms closer to the source.  I'm also looking into directly adjusting the force pairs between rooms.  This could be used to introduce extra repulsion between "problem" rooms that wind up too close to one another.

I'm putting in some basic treasure chests now, and planning on some more debug visualization stuff because it's just so darn helpful.  I saw a great talk online recently about the value of immediacy in design tools, and it's so true.  Looking directly at what's going on gives me much greater insight about what I'm doing, and extends my grasp.  After that I'm planning some infrastructure related to boss monsters, loot tables, and similar stuff that will pertain to quest design.

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty yes. I notice that most of those levels have one corridor connecting 2 halves of the dungeon. Was that on purpose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes; these dungeons are all elaborations of the same base graph, which has only like 3 or 4 rooms and just enough hallways to be connected the way I want. Certain hallways are selected to be elaborated into larger structures. The central hallways you see are those which were not elaborated; they act as choke points where the structural restrictions come into play. This allows for lots of random variation while still possessing structure useful for puzzles and other nefarious design purposes.

      Delete